Tuesday, December 21, 2010

getting into the Christmas Spirit

I'll be honest, it was REALLY hard for me to get into the "Christmas mode" this year. All around me I could only see signs for "holiday sales" or "for that special someone" junk. 
No matter how many times I sang along to a holiday song, or watched a Christmas themed movie, something wasn't right about all of it. 
Even when it came to the LDS Christmas Concert with the Tabernacle Choir featuring David Archuleta, I wasn't amused. David Archuleta being a huge celebrity these days made the concert seem too commercial. Were the people that got tickets really going to see a wonderful concert focusing on Christ's birth or the big celebrity? I think they're both great, but honestly, and in all seriousness, it's Christmas time. Not Archuleta time. 
All the frilly, sappy, and yes, crappy Christmas commercial things just didn't seem to get to me this year. And yes, I am usually a sucker for such things. 
About a week ago, I reminded myself. Christmas isn't about the gifts or the money you spend. It's about the people you spend it with and what the real purpose of Christmas is.


So Merry Christmas to you all. But just remember, there would be no Christmas without Christ. (:

No comments: